Access tools and presentations to help advocate safe prescription drug practices for the following groups.
Be Your Own Health Advocate
DOWNLOAD MORE TIPS AND RESOURCES HERE (pdf)
You are the most important member of your healthcare team. Take the time
to become an expert about your medications:
- Learn about your medications – especially the reasons for taking them and
what side effects could occur. Use your pharmacist as a trusted resource.
- Keep a complete medication record – this is simply a list of ALL medications
you are taking, including those that do not require a prescription.
- If the cost of your prescription is an issue, be sure to talk to your healthcare
provider or pharmacist.
- Anything you take can impact your medication therapy. Share everything you
are taking with your doctor and pharmacist.
- Having a new symptom or health issue? Consider if it could be due to a
change in your medications.
Use medication only as directed by a health professional
Download this document to learn more about safe medication use.
Safely store your medication
Use a secure location, such as a lock box, and avoid places within easy reach of children or others.
Dispose of your medications properly
Take advantage of local drug drop boxes. Visit www.OhioRxDisposal.com to find your closest drop box OR to request a free disposal pouch shipped directly to your home!
Questions to ask your pharmacist:
- What is this medication supposed to do?
- When should I take this medication?
- Is it safe to crush or split the medication?
- Should I take it with or without food?
- Are there common side effects?
- Are there other options that are less expensive?
Are you interested in teaching others in your community about safe medication use? Visit our other toolkits to learn how you can deliver free Generation Rx programming to residents in your local community
This message is made possible with support from the Ohio Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services.